This is a monthly report by Triggered Messaging, to provide statistics on the effectiveness of real-time email marketing. This report covers cart and browse recovery over March 2014. (Previous report for February 2014, Next report for April 2014)
|Sales uplift||12.54% (8.66% from cart recovery plus 3.88% if browse recovery is done too.||Extra sales attributed to Triggered Messaging, compared to normal sales.|
|Sample Size for Cart Recovery data||about 1 billion page views (less for the browse data)||From a representative sample of Triggered Messaging clients worldwide, mainly in the USA and UK.|
|Proportion of Carts Abandoned||
64.47% by number
76.23% by value
|Average Order Value of recovered purchase as opposed to regular purchases||19% Higher for a recovered purchase||Cart recovery emails.|
|Proportion of revenue from browse recovery||29.15%||Browse recovery revenue / cart+browse recovery revenue (for clients doing both)|
|Average return from a single cart recovery email||£16.38||Cart recovery emails.|
|Average return from a single browse recovery email||£5.40||Browse recovery emails (more of these are sent than cart recovery emails).|
- Sales uplift from real-time email marketing is 12.66% (8.97% from cart recovery plus 3.69% if browse recovery is done too).
- Total recovery is about the same as last month.
- Abandon rates continue to creep slowly upwards. This may reflect how people are integrating online shopping with their lives rather than treating it as a task that they concentrate on and so they are more likely to be distracted. If so, technologies such as cart abandonment will become ever more essential.
- I have massively increased the sample size for this survey, from 40 million to about 1 billion page views, and it's very interesting to me that the figures have remained so similar.
- The usual warnings apply. There is a lot of variation in sales uplift across our clients - everyone is making money, but not equally so. And, as with all such data, there is room for error in these figures. The recorded results could be too high, because some customers were going to buy anyway even if we didn't send recovery emails, or too low because some were reminded by the emails but bought in a way that we couldn't measure. We do our best, but nothing is 100% accurate.
Copyright © Triggered Messaging. You are welcome to reuse this data on public Websites, provided it is attributed prominently with a link to this page as follows: Data from Triggered Messaging Ltd.
Interested in using real-time marketing for your company?
Learn how it works with our latest white paper - Segmentation with Real-Time Behavioural Data.